Whitbourne to Butter Pot Provincial Park 11

imageimage
Second last day…the end is starting to feel real. Today is forecasted for rain at some point and overcast most of the day. Luckily the wind is only 10kph and slightly helping as I start my ride at 10am.
trim.rWam2x
Only a few small climbs today, nothing like the last week of riding. Tough to say how I feel right now, a mixture of sad and excitement. There are many of you who have commented you will miss these updates/blogs, well I feel the same way. Sad to have such a grand adventure come to an end; but happy to get back to reality. Excited to finish. Part of this trip was to experience a wide range of feelings and this is just another chapter of those emotions.
image
It is different from winning a golf tournament, or getting a new job. It is more like finally graduating university, writing that last exam. Remember it well from postgrad MBA. A lot of hard work, determination, courage, and a bit of craziness culminating in a degree to hang on the wall. I feel this trip is more like my PhD in myself. If that makes any sense? Not saying I have mastered who I am but I have learned more about myself than I think most people are given the chance to.
imageimageimage
Well my last night camping. I sit on a picnic table with a campfire keeping me warm. It’s damp, there are few campers as the park closes for the season on Monday. It really feels like I am on my own on the side of a small mountain. Not sure if I will sleep tonight? Really hard not to think about tomorrow, one minute I can’t wait to have a beer with my mates, next minute I fight tears. Pretty sure it’s not menopause? When I am done tomorrow I will have cycled 87days for a total of 116days, 8390km, approx 419hrs on the bike peddling and covered the majority of all 10 provinces. That brings a smile to my face…

40km to go, will finish at the Terry Fox memorial monument around 230pm NT.

Daily cycle: 52.4km
Daily cycle time: 2hrs 55min

11 thoughts on “Whitbourne to Butter Pot Provincial Park

1. Reply Jeremy Broom Sep 11,2013 9:53 pm

Great job David, you should be proud.

2. Reply Scott Cowx Sep 11,2013 9:59 pm

Definitely “Men”opause……well done Brother! Enjoy tomorrow.

3. Reply JNH Sep 11,2013 10:17 pm

DM,
    I am so thrilled for you. This is a huge accomplishment which you will remember and tell stories about forever.
    Enjoy all the different emotions and feelings. One thing is for certain, when you dip Betty in the Atlantic you will never feel prouder of yourself! Well done my friend!
    Now go get wasted on George Street tomorrow night, you deserve it!!!
    JNH

4. Reply tessiescreations Sep 11,2013 10:59 pm

The experience and the people that you have met throughout this trip will be something that will be with you forever! You have earned every emotion that you are feeling. Well done! We will be thinking of you as you dip Betty in the Atlantic.

Amy, Rob and Teresa

5. Reply Linda Ingraudo Sep 11,2013 11:02 pm

What a picture that last camping one is. 40 k, however did you do it? For certain you’ve earned a PHD in yourself. Linda

6. Reply David and Andrea Main Sep 12,2013 1:30 am

We are so proud of you and love you dearly. I have told friends all along that I thought you might be in male menopause! All the best tomorrow and have a great time celebrating with your friends. Dont forget to call us as you are approaching the final point so we can share in your emotions. All our love, Mom and Dad

7. Reply June Giancursio Sep 12,2013 2:01 am

Congrats!!! You have accomplished what many only can dream of.

8. Reply Paul Morrell Sep 12,2013 3:27 am

Dave. See you in a few hours. It’s going to be great to see you finish.

9. Reply Jeff Whelan Sep 12,2013 10:23 am

Davie,
    Where are you stayin in St. John’s? There is this neat little brewery in St John’s close to signal hill. Just wonderin where you are going to christen Betty’s front wheel. This little brewery is in a part of St. John’s called Quidi Vidi and is just north of signal hill. http://www.quidividibrewery.ca. Might be easier to put Betty in there than St. John’s harbour and if the brewery is open well…..
    Otherwise middle cove has a nice rock beach with a decent ocean view. It is out of town but you should still have the legs for it.
    Make sure you and RK (and the b’yes) get yourselves screeched in perhaps at Trapper John’s on George St. for a slightly different spin.
    Congrats on an AMAZING feat accomplished by so few, ever. I’ll pm you with some contact numbers/facebook contacts this afternoon and will forward your number to da b’yes. I’m dyin’ not being able to join you guys. Can’t wait till January to hear about it first hand ;o)
    Have a great time.
    Jeff

10. Reply Leanne Pepper Sep 12,2013 3:26 pm

Congratulations David!
    I am so impressed. You did it!
    looking forward to celebrating when you get back in TO!

Leanne

11. Reply sabine Sep 12,2015 2:45 am

Pride. In you. That’s all for now.
    Phd is Mainerism. Well done. I’m grateful. I get to experience the graduate. I’m blessed.
    P.s. Someone besides your mom called you Davie so pls stop giving me a hard time about it 😉 xox