Arnold’s Cove to Whitbourne 9

image
Another chilly morning, showing promise though with a lot of sun. Started my day at 930am and the wind was already as strong as yesterday, mostly crosswind, sudden gusts as I came upon open areas would push so hard it made it hard to keep Betty on the road. Making matters worse were rubble strips, often leaving only 6″ to bike on. With the poor condition of my back wheel there was NO CHANCE I could hit the rubble strips with any speed, the bumps would certainly expand the cracks on the rim. It’s official: Saskatchewan is the runner up for windy provinces to NFLD. I haven’t had a day on this island that hasn’t had a wind above 25kph, many gusting above 50kph, unfortunately few tailwinds.
imageimage
I am now in the Avalon area and it is noticeably more bare with exposed rock. Less than 100km to go, it hasn’t set in yet. Rich Polk, Paul Morrell and Jason Beaver flying in on Thursday to watch my final moments, can’t tell you how much that means to me to celebrate with some of my best friends. Would definitely be odd finishing, dipping Betty’s front tire in the Atlantic with no one around to share it with?

Couple facts about my time on the Rock: haven’t found one bar/restaurant that serves Labatts products, all Molson. Not even Keith’s! Molson makes three NFLD only beers, Black Horse Lager (could be worse than Kokanee), Dominion Ale and India Ale. All three have no preservatives. While there is well over 120,000 Moose on the island there are no deer, skunks or porcupines! Until recently there were no raccoons either!

Tonight I am holed up in a Hwy Roadside motel called The Moorland. Tomorrow I ride about 50km to Butter Pot Provincial Park, leaving less than 40km to ride Thursday. Depending on the weather Thursday I may take a detour through Cape Spear.

Daily Cycle: 51.3km
Daily Cycle Time: 3hrs 20min

9 thoughts on “Arnold’s Cove to Whitbourne

1. Reply Sheryl Sep 11,2013 1:02 am

Woo hoo! You’re almost there! Awesome accomplishment! A couple of things to do/try while in Nfld – get “screeched-in” (I believe that it’s drinking questionable rum out of a cod head), try fish-n-brewis (soaked hard tack, salt cod & fried out bacon, great if hungry enough!) and catch the view from Signal Hill. We are thinking of you & raising a glass of the single malt stuff.

2. Reply Nancy English vandyk Sep 11,2013 2:17 am

Amazing journey!

3. Reply Bob Sep 11,2013 12:19 pm

You gotta end journey at Cape Spear Dave. Most easterly point in North America

4. Reply Jason Spence Sep 11,2013 2:02 pm

Dave, I have been following your journey throughout the summer. It certainly has been an adventure that few could relate to. I just wanted to give you a shout out and say that I’m proud to be a able to call you a friend. Congrats my friend and I too will toast you tomorrow evening with a single malt. Would love to share one with you on your return! Cheers!

5. Reply Linda Ingraudo Sep 11,2013 2:43 pm

Unbelieveable David what you have accomplished!!!! I too am proud to call you a friend/relative. My mom, Betty would howl at your beer woes and she would be right there with you and your 3 buddies partying! Congraulations from all of us. There’s a book and lecture tour in this or biking film if you were interested. Linda

6. Reply Dean Corrigan Sep 11,2013 4:42 pm

Congrats Dave you have made it evan if you have to push Betty the rest of the way. I ‘ve been crossing my fingers that Betty will holds out for today and tomorrow. Great of your buds to show up in St. Johns. Have a great celebration, Well deserved. Cheers

7. Reply Greg Richardson Sep 11,2013 7:50 pm

Simply amazing David. I’m so sorry I missed your cycle through Ottawa. Truely I was watching your progress across the country, didn’t check back and next I know you’re in Quebec. Look forward to connecting, and a big congratulations in person in October at conference.

8. Reply Carol Gibson Sep 11,2013 9:51 pm

We are so excited for you Dave. I can now say I know someone who biked across our great country! Brings tears to my eyes!
    Carol and Craig

9. Reply sabine Sep 11,2015 3:11 am

Puts a smile on my face to read all the comments. You make us all proud to know you. Love, me.